Friday, January 24, 2003

So it happened again today. It started with a quiet phone call this morning. Rumors of a "mandatory meeting" were circulating. That can only mean one thing around here: Layoffs. Can you believe it. We didn't even make it to the 90-day mark. This time it was only one from my immediate area. Why? Because this person made the mistake of taking too much vacation at one time. Whoops! "Hey while you were gone, we learned we could live without you! Clean your desk out!" I'm sure it didn't go that way, but I'm sure that's what it felt like.

I'm hearing a lot of things. More sad & bad then good. The local management is concerned, but the good thing is that for once, they are looking out for us. Yep, it didn't take long for it to degenerate into chaos. The transitioned vs. the new owners. We started at 200 and now we are down to 165 (estimate) in less then one year. How could this happen? It's all about the bottom line, the profit, the moolah, bling-bling baby....

Here's a great story from the front lines. This co-worker I know saw this really great job on Monster.com and he applied for it. They were excited about this job, it was right in line with what they do already. So they apply for it and have a nice phone interview. It went really well for them, and they were excited. Alas, the happiness was short-lived because they got an e-mail from the interviewer at the company... you know how this goes, blah-blah, thanks for interviewing..position has been filled, etc. etc.. Now the great part of this story is that the interviewer sent the same note to ALL the people who applied for the position. Only one problem, rather then put the names in the BCC field, he put them all in the TO field.

Oops.

Imagine this person's suprise when they see 3 other co-workers names in the addressee field. Yeah THREE other people from the very same company that they work for! That is something. Now if this ain't blog material then nothing is. Can you believe it? I couldn't, not even for a minute, but it's true. Now these other 3 people many or may not be the very best of crop, but still that's three people out of local group of 50 or so? Is it a case of the rats deserting the ship while it's sinking or do they see what's coming too? Wow! I wonder if management knows this is how disenchanted the troops are. What would they do if they did know? Is there anything they can do? How bad is morale around here? Obviously worse then I thought, that's for sure.

I consider myself an asset and I'm sure they folks do to. The cuts are coming so should you wait for them or do you get proactive and get the job before they fire you. Now if you're a smart person, you'll go now. Why? Because, if you get out there now, you can get one of the good jobs while they still exist. If you stay then you'll be here with the leftovers. Now by leftovers, I mean the people who can't find a job, the morons, and those people who work cheap and are scared.

I saw a quote on someone's cube: "Work like you don't need the money." Why? Because. You know, because is not a good answer, it ranks right up there with a shoulder-shrug. Isn't is easier to just say you don't know? Yeah..it is. Nothing wrong with not knowing. I'll admit to that. I consider myself an intelligent person (if you think that being loaded with vast amounts of trivial info is intelligence), but I'm not a smart guy. My common sense is lacking quite a bit. So what that happens if you work like you don't need the money? What is the reward? A hearty thank-you and a sound pat on the back? Thanks, but I'd like that bonus, or maybe a raise...yeah... How about this one: "Arbieite sind mach!" It's in German, and it says (loosely) work makes you free....It was on the sign above the entrance to Auschwitz. Yeah...that was a bit offensive, but then again, it's my blog.

Consider this. While I was at my last job, I thought Dilbert was funny. Now it's sad. Why? Because many times it is so true that it hurts. I was told "Give a man a job he loves and he'll never work a day in his life." Ahh...my Dad, there's a smart guy. Sage words to live by, and I really try to, but it get's harder and harder to enjoy my job anymore.

Well, I have to run. I have to go polish up my resume. Yeah...that's right DOCTOR....hmm...they'll never check to see if I got a PhD from a foreign college....

No comments: